Friday 7 January 2011

What would World War I blogs have read like?

My great-uncle has recently written up his father's letters, written while fighting in World War I in Iraq.

The interesting thing for me is quite how factual, dry and stiff-upper lip they are. After describing his injury and subsequent carriage to a hospital, he signs off, as if nothing terribly serious has happened.

My great uncle has added a note below the letter, describing what really happened:
My father doesn't mention the blood loss, pain, being left for dead among the dead, building a coffin of mud around him for protection and the rain filling this coffin with bloody water, twice falling off the stretcher, or the unsprung cart that transported his wounded body to the river Tigris.

I wonder how it would have been written if it was in 2011?